Title: Care Supervisor
Location: Retirement Villages
Responsible to: Care Manager
Overall Aim of the Job
- To deliver the vision, mission and values working in line with the Quality Care Delivery Manual and all Policies and Procedures of The ExtraCare Charitable Trust. To be committed to its aims and objectives and delivering an Excellent Customer Service Experience.
- Responsible for the efficient running of a high quality care service provided to Residents within the Village or other service users within the local community on a day to day basis, and the effective supervision of the Personal Support Assistants (PSAs) providing the service.
- To ensure the security of residents and the building.
- Manage the People Development Review process for their team in line with ExtraCare Policy and Procedure.
- To assist the manager in the achievement of all relevant KPIs
- To work alongside team members delivering hands on personal care and support in a high profile manner leading by example.
- To ensure that individual care and support plans are developed, implemented and maintained to a high standard, enabling them to be used by all staff as a working document to ensure that residents are encouraged to reach their optimum level of independence using skills available to them.
- Carrying out care delivery monitoring, medication audits and care plan audits to ensure a high quality service is being delivered and working within the regulatory framework.T
- To organise induction for new residents receiving the care service in the Village, and for external service users.
- To work closely with outside agencies and other professional bodies in the course of meeting service users’ needs
- To ensure a swift response to any emergency call made by any Resident in the Village
- To liaise closely with the Care Co-ordinator to match up the service user’s needs with the PSAs who will be delivering the service.
- Ensure that all changes in care needs are reported without delay to the Care Manager and Care Co-ordinator so that the visit schedules can be amended accordingly in a timely manner and changes in care provision can be renegotiated with social services
- In the absence of the Care Co-ordinator cover the rota to take account of all absences including sickness, holidays, training and TOIL.
- In the event that there are unassigned calls, ensure that these are allocated to other staff or take them on personally for that shift.
- Deliver the first care call to residents new to the care service to ensure all care needs are detailed in the care plan and the allocated time is adequate for needs to be met.
- To ensure staff are aware of any significant changes in a service user’s care needs by having an efficient handover system.
- Assist the Care Manager in the recruitment of new care staff in line with ExtraCare policy and procedure.
- Oversee the induction, and completion of initial and ongoing statutory and mandatory training along with any specialist training required to meet the needs of residents in receipt of the care service. Responsible for the day to day supervision and regular monitoring of PSA’s, ensuring that they are competent to deliver a quality service which is on time and accurately meets the requirements of care plan. Supervisions should be recorded in the PSA’s file
- Conduct Annual Development and Interim Reviews for their team, ensuring that the outcome is a time-bound plan to address any competency and personal development needs. Ensure that achievement of this plan is facilitated and monitored.
- To organise a monthly team meeting for their PSAs, agreeing the agenda in advance and ensuring that minutes are made and retained and actions from previous meetings completed.
- To attend a monthly Care Supervisor’s meeting with the Care Manager.
- To undertake at least two on-call duties per week in line with contractual requirements and cover for other Care Supervisors when required.
- Carry out investigations (re potential disciplinary issues, grievances or complaints).
- Conduct first line counselling and involvement with disciplinary hearings as appropriate.
- Deal promptly and appropriately with any complaint raised according to ExtraCare policy and procedure.
- To make the Care Manager (or in their absence the Village Manager), aware immediately of any safeguarding concerns which may need to reporting in line with ExtraCare policy and procedure and Local Authority process.
- In the event of the Village Manager and Care Manager being absent, be familiar with the CQC fundamental standards and inspection process, to be able to facilitate an unannounced inspection.
- Responsible for all elements of Health and Safety in relation to the care service whilst on duty.
- Must be IT competent to work within electronic systems for care delivery, monitoring and recording.
- Experience of a similar role in a Domiciliary Care environment
- Working knowledge of the Domiciliary Care industry, regulations and legal aspects
- Understanding of Regulatory Body functions and requirements of CQC etc.
- Understanding of service provision in the care profession, including matching care workers to service users, and rota production.
- Experience and able to demonstrate competence in service user needs assessment, care planning, risk assessment and organising reviews
- Have an understanding of Enhanced Housing Management and what is covered outside of the care service.
- In the event of an emergency situation i.e. flood, fire, loss of power or utility, you will be required to provide leadership and support to those staff on duty at the time and you will be expected to immediately escalate any events of this kind to your Manager, Customer Service or Commissioning Manager in line with ExtraCare’s escalation policy, and to also inform housing partners where appropriate.
- To attend meetings, as required, with the Manager or Customer Service Manager to discuss matters relevant to the management of the Village and The ExtraCare Charitable Trust, and to participate in any evaluations of service effectiveness.
- To undertake additional roles i.e. QCF Assessor / Verifier, Moving & Handling Trainer Buddy etc.
- All staff are required to work Christmas, New Year, weekends and Bank holidays as allocated.
- Must be willing and able to travel to other Villages, Schemes or Head Office for the purpose of training, development or for assistance as required.
- Any other tasks, duties or responsibilities that may be required from time to time, and necessary for the effective running of the service
Health and Safety
To take responsibility for all aspects of Health and Safety in your location ensuring ExtraCare’s Health and Safety Policies and Requirements are fully implemented, monitored and adhered to at all times by all staff, including COSHH regulations and to be alert for hazards for self, other staff, residents and visitors and to report such findings immediately.
Complete all statutory and mandatory training required to carry out this post as defined by ExtraCare.
It is preferable for all Care Supervisors to possess a QCF Level 3 in Adult Health and Social Care upon appointment but must as a minimum possess a QCF level 2 upon appointment.
For staff not possessing a Level 3 must be registered for QCF level 3 within 12 weeks of joining, to complete QCF level 3 within 12 months of registration.
To be fully responsible, conversant, and compliant with all ExtraCare’s policies and procedures, ensuring they are communicated to all staff along with any changes which may be implemented from time to time. To ensure that all staff comply with any policies and procedures in place, at all times.
This post may be subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS disclosure where applicable, two satisfactory references, medical clearance and Home Office right to work clearance.
This job description will be reviewed annually.