Title: Care Manager
Location: Retirement Villages
Responsible to: Village Manager
Overall Aim of the Job
- To be aware of the vision, mission and values and general policy and procedures of The ExtraCare Charitable Trust, and to be committed to its aims and objectives and delivering an Excellent Customer Experience within the location.
- To manage high quality care service to residents in the Village in a manner that provides them with opportunities to use their skills and enhance their quality of life and maintains their independence and privacy
- To ensure the care service operates within the regulatory framework aiming to deliver an overall outstanding CQC rating for the service
- To develop strong working relationships with residents, relatives / significant others and health & social care professionals
- To lead, develop and support the care team
- To assist and represent the Village Manager when required
- To carry out initial assessments and develop a care plan and associated care paperwork to ensure the residents care needs can be fully met.
- To ensure all care plans and risk assessments are reviewed regularly reflecting current needs
- To ensure that appropriate funding is secured to meet the assessed needs of the resident.
- To supervise Care Supervisors and the Care Co-ordinator and to ensure the performance and quality of the DCA is monitored and achieving KPI’s
- To ensure that the service is performing to CQC and local authority standards
- To prepare for and lead on CQC inspections in locations where they hold the registration.
- To ensure that service delivery matches what is contracted and budgetary targets are met.
- To prepare any reports required by the Local Authority and ExtraCare in a timley manner.
- To develop the care service within the village, negotiating with social services and private funders to maximise income
- In some instances the Care Manager will be required to be the Registered Person for CQC.
- To ensure adequate records are maintained
- To communicate the objectives of the organisation in accordance with the corporate plan
- To promote the Village and its care services within the local area by regular attendance and key stakeholder and strategy meetings
- To develop positive working relationships with any partners
- To ensure the effective implementation of and adherence to ExtraCare’s Equality and Diversity Policy and Charter
- To carry out monthly medication audits and care plan audits as per schedule.
- To ensure monitoring systems are in place to evidence the quality of the service.
- To follow procedures for the recruitment, selection and monitoring of new appointments using the guidelines established within ExtraCare.
- To follow procedures for the regular supervision and support of care staff which ensure care service excellence is achieved.
- To ensure all new members of staff are fully inducted and supported by a buddy/mentor during the first 12 weeks of employment and have weekly meetings with their line manager during their induction period.
- To continually monitor the staffing levels to ensure adequate resources are available to deliver the care service
- To conduct Development and Interim Reviews for Care Supervisors/Team Leaders and Care Coordinator.
- To ensure all policies and work instructions contained within the QCDM (Quality Care Delivery Manual) are maintained.
- To have an awareness of electronic scheduling systems (such as CM2000) if in operation.
- To ensure weekly returns to the finance team and local authorities are submitted to evidence care delivered and ensure funding is received.
- To complete all care elements of the monthly managers reporting matrix (COLIN) where they are the Registered Manager or to provide the Registered Manager with the required information.
- Ensure all care staff are up to date with all statutory and mandatory training, including QCF/NVQ.
- Ensure all staff not in possession of QCF/NVQ level 2 complete all elements of the care certificate within 12 weeks of commencing employment
- To ensure effective rota management is in place allowing an accurate STA (Staff Time Analysis) to be completed/submitted.
- To attend regular meetings with the Village Manager to discuss matters relevant to the management of the care service, the Village and ExtraCare.
- To be fully aware of the terms of the care contracts in place with local authority and where there is a housing partner to be aware of the terms of the partnership agreement ensuring full compliance is met.
- To act as Care Supervisor/Team Leader in the absence of permanent staff in an unplanned situation
- To pick up on call duties as required in agreement with the Village Manager.
- To work weekends when required to meet the needs the service.
- In the event of an emergency situation outside of your normal working hours i.e. flood, fire loss of power or utility, you will be required to attend site to provide leadership and support to those staff on duty at the time and you will be expected to immediately escalate any events of this kind to your Manager, Customer Services Manager/Commissioning Manager, or the relevant Director, in line with ExtraCare’s escalation policy, and to also inform housing partners where appropriate.
- To carry out all care related generic risk assessments and ensure they are regularly reviewed.
All staff are required to work Christmas, New Year and Bank holidays as allocated.
Health and Safety
To take total responsibility for all aspects of Health and Safety in your location ensuring ExtraCare’s Health and Safety Policies and Requirements are fully implemented, monitored and adhered to at all times by all staff, including COSHH regulations and to be alert for hazards for self, other staff, residents and visitors and to report such findings immediately.
To be fully responsible, conversant, and compliant with all ExtraCare’s policies and procedures, ensuring they are communicated to all staff along with any changes which may be implemented from time to time. To ensure that all staff comply with any policies and procedures in place, at all times.
Must be willing and able to travel to other Villages, Schemes or Head Office for the purpose of training, development or for assistance as required. Must be willing to be shadowed as part of new Care Managers induction.
Any other duties as required from time to time. This post is subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS disclosure, two satisfactory references, medical clearance and Home Office right to work clearance.